At least 40 girls at Bihar’s Gaya Residential School became sick after eating breakfast that contained a dead lizard. The girls were given potato curry and roti, and some pieces of the lizard’s body were found in the food. Around 80 girls in total received the same meal. The girls became unconscious and the school became chaotic. The medical staff was notified, and 24 girls were taken to the Dumaria Government Hospital. Eight of them were admitted because they were in critical condition.
The head of Kasturba Vidyalaya, Narendra Tripathi, said that the girls started vomiting after their midday lunch. Some of them even claimed to feel drunk. 24 girls were taken to the Dumariya Government Hospital for better care. Parents blamed the school administration for neglecting their children, but the Kasturba Vidyalaya Magra warden denied all allegations.
After a health checkup, the girls were sent back to school. The incident caused concern among parents and raised questions about the safety of food in schools.