The Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) has closed down MS Mandi in Old City after numerous people fell ill from eating food at a restaurant. The incident occurred at an eatery located at Purani Haveli, where over 43 individuals complained of feeling unwell and were admitted to different hospitals.
The individuals became sick after eating mandi, an Arabian dish, served at the Mandi hotel in Purani Haveli. Some people even took the food home with them. Out of the 43 people who fell ill, 12 of them were from the same family. They experienced symptoms such as uneasiness, stomach ache, headache, fever, and nausea.
Upon inspecting the premises, the concerned food safety officers suspected contamination of the mayonnaise and mandi rice. Samples were taken for analysis and the management of the restaurant was instructed to close until further notice.
Seven glass fitting workers who had lunch at the same restaurant also fell sick and were admitted to a nearby private hospital. One of the workers shared that after having mandi on November 16, he and his colleagues experienced health issues and were subsequently admitted to the Fever Hospital.
Since Friday, people have been admitted to different hospitals for treatment. A complaint was also lodged against the hotel management by a customer who found an insect in their mandi.
The GHMC is investigating the incidents and taking appropriate action based on inspection reports.