Six members of a family tragically passed away in their home in the Shastri Park neighborhood of North East Delhi due to suffocation caused by a mosquito repellent. The incident occurred when the repellent dripped onto a mattress and released deadly gas overnight. The local fire service was alerted to a fire at the property at 8:52 am, and three fire tenders were dispatched to the scene.
Joy Tirkey, DCP North East district, reported that the Shastri Park Police Station received a call early on Friday morning regarding a home fire near Machhi Market on Mazar Wala Road. When police arrived, the injured family members had already been transported to Jag Pravesh Chandra Hospital.
Tirkey explained that a burning mosquito coil had spilled over onto a mattress during the night, causing the inmates to lose consciousness due to the noxious gases. The family members subsequently died from asphyxia.
In total, nine people were involved in the incident, with two requiring treatment for burn injuries and one being released after receiving first aid. Among the deceased were four males, a woman, and a toddler.
This tragic incident highlights the importance of using mosquito repellents safely and following the manufacturer’s instructions carefully to prevent accidents like this from happening.