Satya Pal Malik, former governor of Jammu and Kashmir, has denied claims that he only raised concerns about the 2019 Pulwama terror attack after leaving office. He stated that he had raised the issue on the day of the attack, which killed 40 Central Reserve Police Force personnel. Malik has recently alleged intelligence failures and that the central government denied aircraft for the movement of security personnel.
There have been allegations that Malik’s summons by the CBI was linked to his criticism of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his government. However, Union Home Minister Amit Shah denied this, stating that Malik had been called by the probe agency earlier too. In an interview with India Today, Shah said that if someone is levelling allegations after parting ways with the BJP, it should be evaluated accordingly by the media and people.
On Monday, Malik commented on Defence Minister Rajnath Singh’s potential to become prime minister, stating that he is a “serious candidate” and “if it is in his destiny, he will become one”. When asked about the BJP’s prospects in next year’s Lok Sabha elections, Malik said that while he wishes them well, in politics and elections, no one knows what will happen. He added that the current situation is difficult for them, and they will have to take action.